It’s no secret that healthy employees are more productive and energized – and businesses are taking note. Over the past few years, we’ve seen a workplace wellness at the top of many business’ priorities. Whether it be providing healthy snacks in the lounge area, encouraging mid-day walks for fresh air, or offering ergonomic products, one of the most effective ways to boost productivity and re-energize is to get up and move, even if for only a few minutes at a time.
Staying sedentary throughout the work day can put employees at risk for serious illnesses, which may have long lasting side effects. Making small changes, such as shifting positions from sitting to standing, can not only cut down on these risks, but improve employees’ moods and productivity.
Here’s a few easy ways to get employees up and moving throughout the day without disrupting the workflow:
- Vary where employees complete their work tasks throughout the workspace, so employees can change positions frequently
- Encourage employees to meet in person, versus sending emails to colleagues
- Set company-wide reminders to stand up every hour for a few minutes or more
- Encourage employees to eat lunch away from their desks
- Start a company-wide fitness program, where employees compete for the highest number of steps taken throughout the week or month
- Utilize ergonomic products, such as height-adjustable desks, so employees can move throughout workday
- Create incentives for employees who walk or bike to work
- Hold quick stand-up meetings in common areas versus sit-down meetings in a conference room
Whatever you decide to do, it’s easy to make a commitment to becoming healthier workplace. Our bodies were not designed to sit still for hours at a time and these simple steps can have a huge impact on your overall wellbeing.
Make a resolution this summer to get up and move by implementing small changes throughout your workday. Your employees are worth it!